About Me

My photo
From NE Ohio, lived in Appalachia for 20 years, now in Eastern NC for 20 years.

Thursday, March 14, 2024

Sly Pagans: The Everyday People

Call me Pagan. My DNA doesn't lie. I am Celtic, Scandinavian, and Eastern European. The very civilizations that fought against the educated Roman elite government. 

My parents were shocked at the results when there is solid, legal proof of Native American ancestry and my Mother was very animated to remind me that I am from her and my Dad. Now, my inability to tolerate heat, sun, and many food groups seems to make a lot of sense. My body says Northeastern Europe, but the spirit given to me by family traditions and stories about my ancestors has shaped me into who I am today. 

When Mother died, I returned to religious customs and traditions that gave me a great sense of security. I am most comfortable in a buttoned oxford blouse, maxi skirt, and a loose sweater or dress jacket. My constant weight issues make the supportive oxford shoes a necessity.  I've simply neglected to apply jewelry and makeup for tasks more enjoyable. 

I suppose God must be the supreme artist, after all, He is God and I must be His blank canvas. People who wear piercings, tattoos, and individual fashion designs are beautiful. Far more beautiful are the countless cultures people represent; one reason Heaven is such a wonder. Imagine the languages, music, and foods that thrive in Heaven will be the best because Christ Himself is the Creator who gave us such beauty. 

Regardless of our external choices, we are all pagans whom God so loves. 

"Sometimes I'm right and I can be wrong
My own beliefs are in my song

The butcher, the banker, the drummer and then
Makes no difference what group I'm in


I am everyday people

There is a blue one who can't accept the green one
For living with a fat one, trying to be a skinny one
And different strokes for different folks

And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee

We got to live together

I am no better and neither are you
We are the same whatever we do

You love me, you hate me, you know me and then
You can't figure out the bag I'm in


I am everyday people, 
 

There is a long hair that doesn't like the short hair
For being such a rich one, that will not help the poor one
And different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee


We got to live together

There is a yellow one that won't accept the black one
That won't accept the red one, that won't accept the white one
Different strokes for different folks
And so on and so on and scooby dooby doo-bee


I am everyday people" 1

1. "Everyday People." Https://Genius.Com/Sly-and-the-family-stone-everyday-people-lyrics. November 1, 1968. https://doi.org/https://genius.com/Sly-and-the-family-stone-everyday-people-lyrics.