About Me

My photo
From NE Ohio, lived in Appalachia for 20 years, now in Eastern NC for 20 years.

Sunday, July 19, 2020

Systemic Racism - People Like You

When Al Franken created the character, Stuart Smalley, on Saturday Night Live, Stewart was an annoying, self-proclaimed counselor who always ended his sessions with 'people like me.' 1

When I was little, I heard this line because I belonged to a social and religious group that was not always welcomed.

  • People like you are good for our workforce.
  • People like you don't need formal education.
  • People like you are stout and easy to have children.
  • People like you have lower standards than others.
  • People like you can work in the mines rather than go to school.
  • People like you will be happy with anything.
  • People like you are easy to please.
  • People like you had slaves.
  • People like you are bad.
  • People like you are guilty.
  • People like you...
Hearing this in my life always made me wonder why people never took the time to find out the truth about the people they were speaking about. Now at this point in my life, I have complete compassion for those who freely use that line. Some of them are neighbors, teachers, professional health care providers,  church members, classmates, and very influential television/radio programming.  They just didn't know that the One True God's love for them 'endureth forever.' 2 Those who believed in Our Lord Jesus,  just like me, didn't know that we could have a friendship with God the Son who loved us so much and made it possible to call us His friends. How little did we know we were created in the image of God and it is God who made us and not we ourselves. 3 It is God who decided I would be born just as I am and loves everything He made and called me good. 4 

One of my favorite prayers is the Charlotte Elliott hymn, 'Just as I Am Without One Plea.' 5

1 Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidd'st me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come

2 Just as I am, and waiting not
to rid my soul of one dark blot,
to thee, whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

3 Just as I am, though tossed about
with many a conflict, many a doubt,
fightings and fears within, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

4 Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 5

 So now, when I meet people who use the line, 'people like me,' I will ask them if they know God personally? Are they friends with God like dear Abraham? 

Maybe if we can like God, then maybe we can like each other. 

God have mercy on me and on the whole world. 



1. https://snltranscripts.jt.org/91/91asmalley.phtml
2. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm+136-140&version=KJV
3. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm%20100%3A3&version=KJV
4. https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Genesis+1-2&version=KJV
5 - https://hymnary.org/text/just_as_i_am_without_one_plea