About Me

My photo
From NE Ohio, lived in Appalachia for 20 years, now in Eastern NC for 20 years.

Sunday, July 5, 2020

Culture War: First Thing in the Morning

What's on your mind the first thing in the morning? Usually, it will be the most important motivation and guide throughout your day. The first waking thought is rooted and grounded in the very inner core of what guides, directs, and leads you through every decision you make.

I like the old gospel song that taught me that my first waking thought must be on God and His supreme rulership in my life. Before my eyes and ears open, I want to be sure that God alone has my fullest attention and my complete submission. If my mind and heart are rushed to put on slippers and robe and move to finish daily chores, then my thoughts will produce a wasted leading to unrest, hast to judge, flippant comments about others, and untrue imaginations.

I thank God for the physical ability to get up in the morning; I ask for His guidance as I put on my houseshoes; when brushing my teeth, I ask God to bridle my tongue and place a watch over my lips1; I pray God will control my thoughts as I wash and groom my hair.

"Oh I woke up this morning with my mind
And it was stayed on Jesus
Can't hate your neighbor in your mind
If you keep it stayed on Jesus
Makes you love everybody with your mind
When you keep it stayed on Jesus
The devil can't catch you in your mind
If you keep it stayed on Jesus
Jesus is the captain in your mind
When you keep it stayed on Jesus." 2

I'm reminded of a line from 'Absolute Power' spoken by Clint Eastwood, " When you're alone and rage takes over and you want revenge. . .what face do you put with your enemy?"  Sometimes I struggle to keep Jesus on my mind at all times rather than the faces of many who want to be my enemy. It would be so easy to resent and hate the evil deeds others have done.

What if we could simply pray and ask God to fight our battles for us as He promised 4 or we can pray that our minds and hearts be acceptable to Him. 5  Rather than wasting on the uncertain truth that always produces hate, why not try to simply talk to God. Pray and ask God to heal the open wounds that only He can heal.

After all, what we think first thing in the morning is what we do all day.

1. Psalms 141:3
2. "I woke up this morning with my mind," lyrics provided by http://www.allgospellyrics.com/?sec=listing&lyricid=7824
3. http://www.script-o-rama.com/movie_scripts/a/absolute-power-script-transcript-eastwood.html
4. 1 Samuel 17:47; 2 Chronicles 20:15
5. Psalms 19:14